An essay outline is considered to be as planning technique when it comes to writing academic papers.Writer for writing an effective essay need to write a clear and organised outline.Our experts are providing students with guideline related to How to create a formal outline for essay?
Essay outline and its importance for college students
Preparing the outline is a first step which you are require to perform before stating to write an essay. It is consider to be as most important step when it comes to essay writing. Developing a outline of an essay is much time consuming task as compared to writing it. An outline is basically a business tools which writers mainly use for writing academic and other professional papers. An outline has great significance as it helps in organizing your ideas in logical manner. It is essay structure which helps you in making sure that your writing remain focused.
A proper outline also helps in constructing a proper arguments. It is essay outline which will help you in writing the entire content. The basic outline of an essay contains three parts these are introduction , main body and conclusion. All sources in an essay are arranged according to their relevance for strengthening writing process. When it comes to essay outlining there are number of formats. But if you are college students then there are basically two types of format which you need to follow these are APA and MLA. It does not matter whether you are writing APA or MLA outline, the process of essay organisation remains same, there is only lit bit differences.
The main difference between two formats is that APA format utilities abstracts , as it needs one or more sentences in one line. This format writers basically utilize for writing essays related to field of humanities. MLA format you can utilize for writing essays related to social studies.
How to write the outline of an essay?
There are different types of essays such as argumentative, narrative, descriptive, cause-effect, five-paragraph and explanatory, etc.
Generally, students are asked to write 5 paragraphs essays. In 5 paragraph essays, students need to write an introduction, thesis statement, main body and conclusion for an essay. You need to fit all 5 paragraphs in the basic structure of an essay. The same practice you need to apply when preparing a plan for designing the structure of the argumentative essay.
Key requirements for preparing essay outline
Few key requirements which you should fulfill before preparing to outline for different types of essay these are:
- Research and note: Before preparing the outlining of an essay, it is very crucial for you to identify potential sources and note them. You can search for creditable websites and make use of search engines for finding reliable references that need to be included in an academic paper.
- Prioritize thesis statement: Thesis statement is basically a summary of your complete essay or academic paper. You need to start prioritizing it before working on the different section which you have outlined. It is a thesis statement in an essay that will provide you with guidance throughout the writing process.
- Write ideas: Here, you need to assume that you have already written a proper heading during outlining your essay. After that, you are required to note all the important points which you have found on different sources. You can use important points in which you have a note for writing the main body and conclusion part of your essay.
- Consider including references: In relation to cause and effect essay, admission essays you need to include references in the main body section of an essay. If you are writing an analytical essay or reflection paper you need to include the citation in the introductory paragraph.
Basic essay outline format
- Title of essay
- Name of student
- Name of professor
- Course name
- Opening Paragraph
- Detail information about complete paper
- Relate sentences with first main body paragraph
Paragraph 1 of the main body
- Relate sentences with 2 paragraph
Paragraph 2 of the main body
- Relate sentences with 3 paragraph and further paragraphs in same manner
- Summaries main arguments
- A conclusive Sentence
Example of outlining of essay
Students might face difficulty in making a comparison between MLA and APA structure of essay. Both the outlining is based on the referencing style. In the context of APA outline, you need to include abstracts. You need to use sentence citations. A writer may not require to include a title page at the time of preparing an outline using MLA style. But it is very much essential for you to include the title page if you are utilizing APA style for preparing the structure of an essay.
Example of MLA style outline
A sample essay on development of Stonehenge – A historical monument.
- Introductory sentence: Vast hub for ancient history is Stonehenge.
- Interrelate sentence to thesis statement: Height of Stonehenge is 13 ft. It is a oldest monument in the UK.
2. Thesis statement
- Detail of essay: Essay includes a description of the history of Stonehenge. It also include detail information about the way Stonehenge. was built.
- Argument 1st: During 3001 BC Stonehenge. was built.
- Argument 2nd : Stonehenge historical monument is also recognize to be as religious place.
3. First Body Paragraph
- Reference: According to many researchers Stonehenge is believed to have been constructed around the year 3000 BC,
- Explanation: Around the end of stone-age, pagans got together and built the first segment of Around the end of stone-age, pagans got together and created the first part of Stonehenge .
- Link sentence: It is all matter of assumption and belief of people.
4. Second Body Para
- Reference: There are many people who perceives that the Stonehenge is built for religious purpose.
- Explanation: the practice of Paganism is the common explanation for demonstrating the intention behind building historical monuments.
- Link sentence: More evidence emerges regarding the mysterious structure.
- Summary of essay : Overall, the ancient stones have caused great interest throughout human history.
- Conclusive sentence: No body is sure when Stonehenge. was built and what was purpose of building it.
APA style outline : Example
An essay outline example on adverse effect of using mobile phones
APA title page
- Title: Adverse Effect of Using Mobile Phones
- Name of student : Jimy
- Professor name : Anderson
- Beginning sentence: Mobile phones have drastic influence on routine life of people.
- Relate to thesis: utilization of mobile phone daily is completely out of control.
- Description : An essay provide detail information about negative effect of using the mobile phones.
- First argument: High use of mobile phones can result into bad health.
- Second argument: Cell-phone usage has a negative effect on the interaction between human beings.
Main body Paragraph 1
- Evidence: According to the report of Transport Research Laboratory people driving motor cycles generally uses mobile phones.
- Explanation :Using a mobile phones at the time of driving a motor vehicle has more of a drastic effect
- Link sentence to conclusion: Now a days human beings specially children have become habitual of mobile phones. High use of mobile phone can have negative effect on health of human being.
- Summary of complete paper: Restate thesis
- Conclusive Sentence: Excessive utilization of mobile phones can have negative influences on people mental health.
If you still need extra assistance you can avail our professional essay writing services. Our professionals will prepare good essay outline for your essay and would help you in achieving good marks.