Introduction in research paper is the first paragraph that provides a detailed background of the topic it could also be referred to as the formal presentation of the topic or subject. The main purpose of the introduction part in research paper is to make the reader familiar with the content and purpose of a research paper.
Another objective of the introduction section in the research paper is to capture the attention of the reader. It is the paragraph in research paper that makes the reader familiar with the subject by providing an overview of the topic, the length of an introduction is completely based on the type of researcher paper is being written.
For example, Globalization is a phenomenon that has bought drastic changes in industries. It has changed the way marketing has been done by firms.
Elements of introduction in the research paper
Different elements of introduction in research paper are:
- Topic sentence: it provides the reader with a basic idea about the research paper. You are required to use expressive words for your topic sentence, as this will help you in grabbing the attention of the reader. The topic sentences should relate to the information contained in the paragraph.
- Thesis statement: it is the most important part of the introduction section in research paper. This section in the research paper provides the reader with a basic idea about the topic. The thesis statement that you have design should be cohesive and clear. Reviewing and refining the thesis statement again is considered to be one of the best strategies for ensuring clarity. While writing the thesis statement as a part of the introduction, you need to make sure that it is narrow, specific and focused.
- Supporting sentences: This section in the research paper should contain at least five arguments. The arguments which are included in the research paper should be related to the topic. Supporting sentences might include a reason for selecting a specific topics for investigation, the importance of research. It might also include other important information about the research such as research questions, aims, and objectives, etc.
- Conclusion sentences: It mainly includes restatements of the main idea of research. You, in order to write a concluding sentence, will be required to again write the topic sentence. But in this section, the topic sentence should be in different words. While writing conclusive sentences you will again need to emphasize the key idea of research. But you have to provide additional information along with key idea. You should use both expressive and impressive words while writing conclusive sentences.
Importance of introduction in the research paper
The introduction has great significance in research paper:
- Introduction in research paper is very much essential, as it helps the researcher in stating their objective.
- The introduction section in the researcher paper will provide you an ease in grabbing the attention of the reader.
- It enables you to avoid any kind of confusion and misunderstanding.
- An introduction section enables us to highlight the issue.
- By providing an effective introduction you can make the reader feel connected.
- Introduction section in research paper is important as it enables to clearly state the objective of conducting the investigation on particulars topic.
- It helps you to demonstrate the importance of the topic or problem that has been addressed in the research paper.
- It enables you to explain the way research on a particular topic has filled the gap in the literature.
- An effective introduction in the research paper helps you in developing a good impression on the reader.
Techniques of writing introduction in research paper
- One of the best techniques of writing an effective introduction in research paper is to write this specific section in the last after completion of all other parts. As after completing other parts of research paper you will develop little idea about the content to be added in the introduction in order to match it with the other sections of the research paper
- While writing the introduction section in the research paper you need to mainly concentrate on the tone you are using.
- While drafting introduction you are required to highlight the main issue because of which you are performing investigation on a specific topic.
- You should provide the reader with a hint of the questions that you want to get answered.
The procedure of writing introduction in a research paper
- Defining of the topic of research: It is an initial phase where you are required to provide background information or an overview of your research topic, this is considered to be one of the best techniques for developing the interest of reading in readers. The beginning sentences in research paper should represent the issue on which a complete research project is based.
- Consideration related to keywords: the keywords are basically those words that represent the different aspects of investigation which has been included in the research paper. For example, if you are writing a research paper on the impact of globalization on business function, then in the introduction section you need to provide a definition or explanation about globalization.
- Definition of key terms in research paper: It is very much essentials for you to define the complex term which you will use at the beginning of the research paper that is the introduction section. As it is the strategy that will help you in ensuring clarity throughout the research paper. By providing the definition or explanation of complex key terms in research you can make sure that the reader has understood the thing which you want to convey. Defining the key terms is very much crucial particularly when you are describing new concepts in your research paper.
- Introduction to topic using quotation: You should include the quotation that should be related to the topic. Using the quotation in the introduction section will help you in capturing the attention of the reader. While you are writing a quote you need to make sure it is short and simple.