A problem statement is a clear researched description related to any of the issues which have to get address quickly. Whether it is the wrong condition or the issue, it needs to get improved. A good problem statement recognizes the gap between the current issue and among the desired goal . Our professionals are providing you with complete guideline on How to write a problem statement for your research?
Problem statement definition
A problem statement in research is basically a statement about the condition which has to get improvement, a concern which has neglected as soon as possible, a difficulty which the students have to eliminate quickly.
Frequently, an issue or problem refers to a troublesome statement that can exist in the theoretical part or actual practice. It mainly points out the need for careful investigation as well as meaningful understanding.
However, the students can go with the five “why” questions to go in-depth of the problem. It can help them to add some of the additional items in the statements. Many times the problem gets extended to multiple functions or areas to which the students are not aware of. The college might have the information about project, but they might not have any idea that what is causing the problem.
Meaning of problem statement in research
The primary and most practical meaning of the problem statement is to find out the actual problem and explain it deeply.
In addition to it, a clear problem statement describes what looks of the familiar environment are. When the students are capable of defining the desired condition, then can quickly provide a complete vision related to the product or process.
- It makes the purpose clear required for starting the improvement project and the goals set-up to accomplish soon.
- It the critical function of the problem statement to get used as a communication device.
- A problem statement helps in defining the scope of the project, which helps in keeping the concentration on the entire goal.
- At the end of the project, a problem statement can get used to check whether the solution suggested had solved the issue or not.
- You can use it for performing the root-cause analysis.
- It can become comfortable with the help of problem statement to ensure the measures which get implemented to prevent the issue from happening again in the future.
“It is important to note here that any of the problem statement does not provide any methods or solution to reach the solution.Simple, a problem statement identifies the gap due to which the students are lacking in meeting the desired achievements.“
However, there are several solutions related to solving the issues defined in the problem statement.
A problem statement is essential just like it is necessary to collect the information, knowledge, and current affairs from the subject related to the project. It can be helpful if the students are searching for additional research materials, user manuals, work instructions, and workflow charts to work on the problem statement.
What are the key elements of a problem statement?
A perfect problem statement should describe undesirable gap between current level of performance and goal . Sometimes when the production has not done according to the required standard, then it directly shows that there is some problem that has to get eliminated.
A problem statement should involve relative and absolute measures of the highlighted problem that quantify the gap existing. However, not every question statement includes possible solutions or the causes due to which the problem got created.
There are some of the key elements in the problem statement which the college students have to include, namely;
- Gap: The problem statement element identifies that if there is any existing gap that can decrease the level of performance.
- Location, time frame, and trend: It involves the description of details like when and where the problem has observed the first plus which of the pattern it is following.
- Impact: It quantifies the cost, quality, time, environmental, and other gap issues.
- Importance: It should get involved to understand the urgency better and required to the individual, organization, and many more.
How to write a problem statement
Generally, a problem statement is a succinct and short explanation of a problem that any of the business is facing. The college students working on the problem statement can identify an ideal solution to solve the issue. Before the students start their task for defining the problem statement, it is essential to think about the problem first and then to prepare it with facts. How do you write a problem statement is completely dependent on the type of research you are performing.
Step 1: Ponder on the topic of the dissertation and engage yourself with basic research
Before start writing the dissertation problem statement, it is crucial to know about some basic details about the topic. You cannot make blind guesses while writing a problem statement without having an understanding of the subject. So make sure that you put your efforts into knowing about the fundamentals of the topic before writing your problem statement .
Step 2: Try to figure out your main concern about the dissertation
Before telling your readers about what you are going to do with the topic of a dissertation it is essential to know it by yourself. Mindstorming is good to find out the central driving force or line of argument for writing the dissertation. You must focus your entire dissertation surrounding on this main idea without circumlocution around the things. That is how a big success can be gained in writing a supreme quality problem statement.
Step 3: Give a perfect format and structure to your dissertation problem statement
Likewise, it is also crucial to go with the appropriate format of the in problem statement. You can categorize into three parts which include the main motif of the problem statement, difficulty and finally some relevant solutions for issues.
Step 4: Write your motifs or goals regarding the dissertation area
In the structure of problem statement contains 3 parts. The first part is to explain the main motif of the research on the given topic. Here you need to explain what are the goals that you want to achieve by doing research.
Step 5: Analyze the arguments and explain them with relevant examples
In the next part of the problem statement analyze arguments and how to substantiate them with relevant examples from the research work. You can use quotations from the references as well to prove your argument in the statement. The purpose of writing this part in the problem statement is to highlight the issues which creates hindrance in accomplishing goal .
Step 6: Explain the benefits of choosing that solution
Here, you need to highlight the points which make the solution best as compared to others. It is as step, where students need to highlight the main sentences .
The problems statement provides an excellent opportunity for the students to discuss the big problems. It also enables them to find the perfect solution for improving performances.
Step 7 : Conclude by giving a summary of the problem and solution
Sum up your dissertation problem statement with a relevant conclusion. At the same time you should suggest solutions for dealing with the problem . Some solutions become practical while others remain unpractised due to some issues in the minor contradictions. So try to write only those solutions to your arguments which are relevant and can be helpful . Without writing a good dissertation conclusion you cannot get good marks in your dissertation.
What is an example of a problem statement?
Example of problem statement in research proposal
Statement of the problem on social media
The problem statement: Real vision VS Screen time
There is no doubt that social media has provided teenagers with lots of opportunities to communicate efficiently. Today it has become the critical part in the life of the adults to remain active on social media. Social media has become the main priority for many of the teenagers.
It is because of the social media that people can contact their friends and relatives quickly. Despite thinking about addiction, everyone is enjoying the usage of social media. There is no one to stop teenagers from getting addicted to the internet. College students are checking and updating their social profile daily. It shows that social media has impacted profoundly on the student’s minds.
Argument 1: Shift behavior to maintain balance in relationships
Though social media is helping to communicate with the friend who is living far from you.`At the same time, it is creating distance between people who are living closer to you. So it is essential to maintain a proper balance between the relationships so that every person can stay happy. It is necessary to stay close with people who can handle mood swings and can calm the anger quickly.
Argument 2: Shortage of emotional attachment
When people are not sharing their happy and sad situations to others, then surely they can start feeling depressed. It is highly essential to contact friends and relatives who are not living nearer. Social media is impacting lives severely, and people know this very well, but still, they are avoiding it like hell. There is a lack of emotional attachment among people. It is only because of the high usage of social media.
Argument 3: Improve the quality of relationships
The only thing which is responsible for spoiling the real friendships is a high usage of social media. Teenagers prefer to visit social media sites again and again, because of which they are losing people closer to them. They think that they cannot match their level, but the reality is that the internet or social media had made the life of ordinary people poor.
As a result, high usage of the internet, especially social media, has its pros and cons. It can either make the future of people or can spoil it. The rest depends on teenagers that how much time they are spending on the internet and time they are giving to their family.
Problem statement examples in Education, business
The problem statement: Is school became a business?
Government has made many strict laws according to which every child has the right to get an education. Education plays a significant role in shaping the career as well as in the development of the nation. However, not everyone thinks the same.
There are still many people who either are not able to provide education or who do not want to provide. In short, it is the future of the child, which is getting damage. Today education has become like a business for many people who wants to earn only money. It is about respect and proper training, which makes a person stand out among other illiterate people.
Argument1: Necessity to improve the education system
If there will be improvement in education system, then people would prefer to give child proper education. However, it is about modifying the education system not to change it completely.
Argument2: Is school education enough for students?
The answer is absolute, no. When the student does not get proper education, including the ethics, moral principles, and school education. It means they lack something. A well-educated person is the has etiquettes, manners, behaving principles, that attract other people.
Argument3: Modify some educational basis:
Though every student who is getting an education is suppose to get employment. But still there are many students who do not like studies or find it annoying. If the teachers or parents change the ways of teaching, then every student can study . So sometimes even the small change is good to make a significant change.
Dissertation problem statement Example of Pollution
Environment pollution is rising every day. There is rise in pollution due to increase in vehicles on the road, industrial combustion etc.
- The level of carbon dioxide gas has risen to an extreme extent in the past couple of decades which is very harmful to human survival on earth.
- The rise in flood and avalanche along with other natural casualties is at a high pace owing to global warming.
- Noise pollution is affecting the life of various animals on earth who cannot tolerate the noise.
- Natural and photochemical smog in the air is not leaving the air good for breathing.
- Animals are getting in the category of critically endanger species due to deforestation.
All these situations and circumstances refer to the need for taking stern actions that can save animals as well as humans from the polluted environment. It can be done either by implementing green chemistry or planting more and more trees along with checking the cause of pollution. But we cannot depend upon only these sources of solutions there must be other relevant and practical solutions to get out of the issue of environmental pollution in real sense.
Dissertation problem statement Sample on Population
Depression and drug addiction is getting very common in every nook and corner of the world these days. It is particularly can be seen with the teenagers as compared to the adult age group. The economic development is shattered on a global scale with the rise of drug addiction which is result of depression. Most parents are also responsible for the cause of depression in their young teenage children who nudge them to become successful in career.
- Almost 50 percent of the world population is suffering from depression at a serious level.
- Career-related problems and poor health counseling is the root cause of depression and anxiety among children of teenage.
- Sometimes depression becomes so scary that it takes the shape of suicides and death will.
- Psychological counseling sessions sometimes fail to check the problem of depression in young students and children these days.
So this is the high time to take some initiatives that can save the growing population of the world from the manacles of depression and anxiety. There is a need to find relevant ideas that can help teenagers to fight with this serious problem with courage.
Dissertation problems statement example on Medical
Some nations have announce nursing ethics as legal which is a direct slap on the human rights given to a nurse by nature and constitution.
- According to some crucial surveys, we can illustrate that about 40 percent of nurses at the global scale are subjected to the hegemony of doctors .
- Most of the nurses are not vocal about their rights and that is why they lead a professional career in the subjugation of doctors.
- Sometimes the injustice cause by nursing ethics rises to level when even human rights of a nurse get snatched.
It is good to follow ethics in any field. Nations which forcefully implement these nursing ethics in their professional career must reconsider their rules and ordinances in healthcare. International human conventions can also look after this matter.
Dissertation problem statement sample on Women welfare
The social taboos are rising from ancient time. They have been given a special place in most of the countries.
- A female who is getting pregnant without marriage is subject to social taboo by society and considered immoral.
- People who want to express their sexual orientation towards the same biological sex are often seen with weird eyes in social set up.
- Women are still not allow to enter sacred places because of their menstruation cycle.
- A woman who is sterile and cannot deliver children are criticized.
- Earning women is suppose to look after kids and household chores .
Dowry system was very much prevalent in many countries as social stigma . We need to take similar actions in concern with the other such taboos that still prevails in the society .
What are the Problems faced by graduates in writing problem statement dissertation ?
Here are a few issues and problems which graduates faces in writing a dissertation problem statement. You can take a note on these issues and problems to write your own dissertation problem statement in an appropriate way.
- The topic of the dissertation is not clear to the graduates.
- Fail to find the best resources for the research on the topic.
- Lack of experience in research and research methods as well.
- No time to carry on research on the topic due to a busy schedule.
Why is it challenging to write an efficient problem statement?
One of the major problems faced by the school or college students while working on the problem statement research is the distractions that can be from the following sources:
- Solutions: It usually comes when the students have done with the searching for the problem. The early consideration or the solution related to the main problem can get implemented as soon as possible. When someone gets stuck with the question, it becomes necessary to go in the roots of the problem. It can help in finding the correct solution of the problem. However, it is essential to not switch minds between the different solutions related to only one problem. The right answer is the only one that is reflexive and natural to achieve the desired goal.
- Causes: The search for the leading reason responsible for the problem is a natural reaction found from many of the academic students. However, when the students are first describing the problem, then it becomes better to avoid the causes.
- Blame: When one gets afflicted with a problem, then it is a natural reflex to search for the blame.
Importantly, a proper problems statement should be free of multiple solutions, causes, and blame. In addition to it, college students have to be aware of the various symptoms so that they cannot face distraction.
Tips on Writing a problem statement
The primary use of the issue statement is to gain project support plus quick approval to achieve the goal. An incorrect or poorly crafted issue statement can lead to a distracted solution as well as can waste much time. It is essential to include the necessary critical elements into the statement of issue for eliminating risk of project failure.
It is important to note that it is not required to make the problem broad but what matters is to better the why questions which create the entire issue.
The college or school students can provide details of the problem.
In addition to it, the statement of issue is not perfect if it is too narrow. There are several templates available for the students with the help of which they can create a problems statement.
This section describes the desired state of the process as well as the product. Also, it can help the students to illustrate what the expected environment looks like after the solution gets implemented.
in this section you need to describe the current issue or the process. It helps in explaining the better points for achieving the desired goals. The involvement of the insights and expertise of the project team will help you in making problems statement format impressive .
If the problem does not get fixed over the required time, then it can put an impact on the project. The section provides useful information to describe the symptoms which can find if the problem had not improved instantly. It can include the costs associated with the loss of time, money, competitive advantage, productivity, and many more. The magnitude of such effects can help to determine the priority related to the project.
In this section you need to describe potential solutions. It can also involve the suggestions by the proper list of references and research.
Hire an expert for writing an Effective Problem Statement
When school students are not able to write the problem statement efficiently, then they can contact the group of expert writers. You can also buy a problem statement template from our professionals.
Students Assignment Help is a well-known company that provides useful content and efficient material with the help of which the school students can prepare a capable problem statement. The writers have the experience of writing for several years due to which they can provide every student with cheap but impressive online writing services.