Research can be referred to as a systematic study on specific subjects which include different activities such as data collection, analysis, and interpretation. It can be also defined as searching for information on a specific topic or subject. Research activity mainly includes discovering facts or figures about the phenomenon. The main objective of investigation is to increase knowledge about a particular field. Another purpose of the investigation is to search for possible solutions to a particular problem.
Example: An organization is facing the issue of continuous decline in sales and profit. Management in an organization is highly concerned about the problem and asked research and development team to perform the investigation for identifying the root cause of problem.
Research Process – Step By Step
Before beginning with the investigation you are required to decide whether you want to perform primary and secondary research.
Step 1st – Primary research:
It is the type of investigation where data is collected by the investigator themselves. Such type of research which is performed for identification of specific issue on which there is a requirement of performing detail analysis. In such type of investigation, the techniques which are applied for the collection of facts include survey, interview, observation, etc.
Step 2nd – Secondary research:
In such types of studies, the investigator mainly uses the information which is already present. Secondary research includes synthesis, collation, and summary of existing research performed by another researcher.
For example : investigation performed for identifying the number of person died due to cancer .Your collection of the information about the same can access the record of patients by management team on hospital. It is phase where you can make choice of type of research to be conducted on the basis of three factors these are aim, objective and nature if problem.
Step 3rd – Identification of the issue:
It is the stage where you need to clearly define the issue. At this stage, where you are required to clearly address those people who have got highly influenced by a particular issue. In addition to this, you need to provide an explanation about the way investigation performed by you will help in dealing with a specific type of problem.
Step 4th – Designing of research questions:
This is a stage where you are required to create the research question on the basis of objectives and problem statement. All the questions designed need to be specific. It is a stage where two or three questions are sufficient. In the last question, you should ask for suggestions for dealing with a specific problem. In the context of Quantitative research, you will be required to formulate the hypothesis for testing.
Example: A investigation conducted for analyzing the effect of globalization on business activities. Some of research questions which can be designed are :
- What challenges the organization is facing because of globalization?
- What is the importance of globalization for companies?
- What techniques firms can be applied to deal with global issues?
Selection of research design:
Research design is basically a strategy which is adopted by the researcher for getting answer to their questions. At this stage, you are required to determine the type of information you intend to collect by performing the investigation on a particular topic. This is a phase where you need to clearly define the techniques which you have applied for accumulating facts related to the topic or subjecting
Writing the research proposal:
After establishing aims and objectives, designing of research question after that you are required to write a research proposal. The research proposal consists of detail about the background, plan, and purpose of research. It is the section in the dissertation that also includes objectives, aim, research questions and statement of the problem. You also have to include the literature review part in my dissertation.
Tips for starting research:
Execution of research in a systematic manner is very much essential for accomplishing desired objectives :
- Before the beginning of the investigation, you should develop a proper plan and you are required to make a proper arrangement of resources. It is a technique which will help you in eliminating the barriers in research
- While selecting the topic for performing study, you should consider the different types of issues such as ethical or legal issues associated with the execution of investigation on a particular subject.
- Ethical issues are basically the kind of problem in which you will require to make a balance between different alternates. When you do not follow the laws and regulations while performing investigation than such types of an issue might arise.
- Before beginning the investigation, you are required to develop an in-depth understanding of the subject or topic. After the selection of the topic, you will require to establish aim And Objectives. As these are two important elements of research that will help you in determining the activities you need to perform.
- You should clearly define the problem statement.
- The other advice is that after selecting the topic you should have a discussion about the same with your supervisor or teammates
- Selection of appropriate research design is very much important for accomplishing desired aims and objective
- While selecting the topic you should seek support from your supervisor etc.