What is Self-Plagiarism – Its Meaning & Consequences
Generally, students get confused about the concept of self-plagiarism. by explaining the concept of self-plagiarism our experts have answered the student’s queries about plagiarism. Reading the whole content you will get answers to the following questions :
Students can submit the same assignment twice?
Can you copy your own work?
What are the ways to avoid Self-plagiarism?
Self-plagiarism is also a big offence according to the guidelines or policies of a few colleges because of which an individual has to face serious consequences. Many of the school and college students are aware of the concept of plagiarism but they are not aware of Self-Plagiarism. It is very much important for students to make themselves aware of crucial plagiarism facts as it will help them in preventing ethical issues.
They know that copying the content written by others without permission is a big offence. So student instead of copying others’ idea they copy content from their previous assignment. As they are unaware that copying idea from own assignment can lead to Self-plagiarism. So in this article, we have explained the meaning, consequences of self-plagiarism. We have also suggested a few techniques that can be applied to avoiding Self-plagiarism.
Firstly, let’s understand the concept of self -plagiarism?
What is Self-Plagiarism?
For instance, resubmission of the same assignment for two different courses is self-plagiarism. Another example: copying the literature review section or references from previous assignments or academic papers. Self-plagiarism is also a serious offense and it is against the expectation of professors. Self-plagiarism is completely in violation of the plagiarism policy of universities.
Now after understanding the concept lets have look at consequences of self -plagiarizing. Developing an understanding of the consequences of Self-plagiarizing is very much important in order to avoid an unfavourable situation that has a negative effect on a career.
What are the consequences for self-plagiarism?
The serious consequences of self-plagiarizing include copyright infringement and blocked publication. In addition to this, one has to pay a high penalty for self plagiarizing in relation to academic writing. `
If a student has copied only some amount of content from their existing work then there are high chances that he or she will be expelled from school or university.
A person who has copied content from the previous documents will not be allotted with good grades for their new assignment. Due to self-plagiarism, students have to face ethical issues that could have an adverse influence on his/ her reputation and career. As per the established guidelines, individuals copying material from their own work have to face legal issues as well.
Let’s gain knowledge about the conditions when self-plagiarism is acceptable.
When self-plagiarism is OK?
Self-Plagiarism is Ok when the Tutor in college or university allows you to copy the material from existing work.
In addition to this, plagiarism is Ok when you submit the extended version of your work. But for that also you need to clearly state the fact that you are submitting your existing work along with new version.
Plagiarism is Ok when you have submitted the draft of work and afterwards you are submitting the complete paper. In that case, also you need to mention in your assignment that previously you have submitted the draft and now you are resubmitting complete file. in addition to this, you should able to differentiate between new and existing work.
Lets now have look at some ways of avoiding Self-plagiarism.
How to Avoid Self-plagiarism?
Few tips for avoiding self-plagiarism are :
- One of the most appropriate techniques is to avoid self-plagiarism is to review the plagiarism policy made by educational institutions. In addition to this, you should not utilize the idea or content from your previous assignments or paper.
- You should not submit the same project or assignment. If in case you want to use a similar idea in your new assignment then in such a situation you should take suggestions from a tutor.
- Students should create original work using fresh ideas.
- An individual can also mould your idea by adding a few more things.
- The advice for academics is that they should not utilize their previously published research paper again as it might lead to copyright infringement. After completion of your assignment, you need to ensure that all the paper consists of new ideas.
- In case you have utilized information from your previous work then it is your duty to inform, the reader about the same.
- It is very much essential for students to do proper citations which are considered to be as acceptable.
- One of the most suitable techniques for avoiding self-plagiarism is to expand your existing ideas. For instance, you can add new facts, conclusions, etc.
- Another best technique is to have a revision of your existing work before submitting a new assignment.
- Students should not use or copy information from existing work.
- You can utilize quotations if you are copying content from an existing source.
- Students should include the reference page on the last page of the assignment as it will help in avoiding the chances of self plagiarizing and other kinds of plagiarism. It will also help an individual in demonstrating that their work is original.