Survey research can be referred to as a research method that is applied to the accumulation of facts in order to develop an in-depth understanding of the subject or topic. You can also consider a survey to be as in the detailed examination of the procedure or human behavior. In other words, a survey is a type of investigation which is conducted for developing understanding about characteristics of the population by applying statistical techniques.
In the survey, you are required to analyze responses provided by respondents by applying statistical techniques that will help you in reaching to a conclusion. The important benefit of the survey is that it provides ease in easily reaching and engaging with the audience in an efficient manner.
The main objective of the survey research is to gain valuable insight into the topic or subject.
For example: In-depth investigation performed by an organization in order to gather information about opinion of customers about newly launch products. It is the data gathered through the survey which will help management in determining the need for further improvement in newly launch products.
Use of Survey Research
A survey is considered to be as useful when you have to collect information about preferences, opinions, and feelings of people. It can also be utilized for accumulating facts by directly communicating with participants and asking them questions related to subject or topic. It is the type of research methodology that is most commonly used in Qualitative research.
Survey also has another type of uses such as:
- Social survey: Such type of research is performed for gathering in-depth information about the characteristics and experiences of different groups of people.
- Market survey: It is the type of survey which is performed by companies in order to get insight into the opinions of customers about goods or services offered by them. Such kinds of research are utilized specially for collecting information about the entire market.
- Health survey: These types of surveys are used for accumulating facts about symptoms of disease and illness.Information about the different treatments of specific illnesses.
- Politics survey: It is the type of survey which is performed for gathering information about the opinion of people about politics or political parties.
- Psychology: Such research is utilized for collecting information about personality traits, preferences of people.
The procedure for conducting the survey
The process of conducting a survey consists of different phases these are :
- Establishment of objectives: It is the initial phase where you are required to set the objective of conducting the survey. While setting objectives you need to be sure that it is narrowly scoped. You are required to note down the questions for which you want to get answers by performing the survey. This is the type of investigation which is considered to be very much useful where the sample size of the population is very large.
For instance, your objective for conducting the survey is to gather information about customer’s opinions about the business procedure which required to be changed.
- Determination of the types of surveys: This is the phase where you need to decide which type of survey you want to execute. The two basic types of survey which are generally performed by the researcher are :
- Interview: This is a type of survey where the interview designs the list of questions that are required to ask from the audience personally or through telephone.
- Questionnaire: It is a type of survey where a list of questions to be asked by participants is distributed Online through E-mail.
- Sharing form through e-mail:- It is considered to be one of the best strategies applied for collecting demographic information.
- Identification of target audience: This is the most important phase. Before starting to perform you have set some objectives which will help you in identifying the target audience. A target audience is basically a group of people from whom you will gather information about specific topics or subjects.
It is a phase where you need to identify the people from whom you will collect information from. In the context of survey two main factors that is the availability of time and budget will help you in determining the size of the sample to be selected for performing the survey. The selection of the appropriate sample is very much important in order to produce accurate outcomes.
- Designing and prioritizing the survey questions: It is a stage where you will require designing questions keeping in mind the objectives of conducting a survey. You can include both open-ended and close-ended questions.
- Open-ended questions: It is the technique applying which you can provide respondents with an opportunity to express their opinion or feelings in detail. Such type of questions in the questionnaire form does not contain options.
- Close-ended questions: In closed-ended questions, respondents are provided with options from which they have to select one.
- Distribution of survey form, and gathering of information: You can use E-mail For distribution of survey form. In addition to this, you can personally distribute the survey form to participants. The online survey can be utilized for collecting information about topics or subjects from a large number of audiences.
- Analyzing the information: You can apply the statistical techniques or mathematical techniques for analyzing the information gathered through the survey.
Techniques for Measuring the Reliability of Survey Result
While designing the questionnaire for a survey you are required to emphasize every question and you need to make sure that all the questions are relevant to the topic. While formulating the close-ended questions it is very much essential for you to confirm that option which you have given cover all probabilities, as this technique will help you in ensuring the validity and reliability of survey results.