Thematic Analysis for Research – Definition, Approaches & Procedure
Meaning of Thematic Analysis
Thematic analysis is basically a research methodology which research utilize for analyzing information in the qualitative investigation. In the thematic analysis, you need to prepare the different themes on the basis of the questions and answers of respondents.
You in order to prepare themes need to closely analyze the data which you have collect during an investigation. It is the research method that mainly concentrates on organization and providing detail information. Thematic analysis is the technique that will allow you to generate meaning from data.
It is the research technique that is applicable to texts like transcripts of the interview. Thematic analysis is a flexible research approach by utilizing which you can easily analyze the opinion of different people. The main objective of thematic analysis is to provide detail information. Other objective is to enable an individual to develop an understanding of the answers of respondents.
For example: Researcher perform study with the intention to gather information about the factor which motivates employees to retain their job in specific organization?You can perform interview for collecting the facts. After that you need to analyze information and design different themes on the basis of common answers of respondents. Results of data analysis reveals that majority of respondents have thinks that it is the effective reward and incentive scheme which motivates them to retain their job in a company.
Uses of thematic analysis
- The researcher uses the thematic analysis technique for analyzing the pattern of responses.
- You can utilize thematic analysis for analyzing the views of people.
- You can also use Thematic analysis for the organization of information that you have collected using different techniques such as interviews, surveys, focus groups, etc.
- Students can utilize it for analyzing both large and small sets of data.
- You can use different themes for identifying the root cause of the issue.
- Thematic analysis is suitable for presenting findings of research in a systematic manner.
- It is the analytical techniques which you can utilize for performing exploratory investigation especially in those studies where you are not at all aware of the pattern.
Approaches of thematic analysis
Before beginning the procedure of thematic analysis it is very crucial for you to clearly identify the approach which you will apply for the identification of themes. There are basically two approaches that you can apply for the identification of themes these are deductive and inductive.
The two most common approaches to thematic analysis are:
- Inductive approach: In inductive, you need to use original data for designing the structure. There is no existing theory or framework which you can use for analyzing the facts. An inductive approach to thematic analysis all the themes are closely related to information. This approach is useful when the researcher has no idea about the research topic or subject.
- Deductive approach: You can utilize the deductive research approach when you have already address the research questions. Deductive research to thematic analysis is very much appropriate when a person does not have a sufficient amount of resources.
The procedure of thematic analysis
The further process of thematic analysis includes different phases:
Step 1st – Familiarization:
It is the initial phase where you need to develop an understanding of facts. You need to properly analyze the interview and note important points, as this technique would help you in becoming familiar with the subject or topic. Where the study involves an observational technique of data collection than you can easily design themes.
Step 2nd – Coding:
This is a stage where you need to give codes to data. Code is a brief decryption and list of interesting facts which you have discover during an investigation. Then after that, you have to organize information in systematic order.You can use a special type of software for coding of data.
Step 3rd – Designing of themes:
At this phase, you need to review the codes in order to analyze the pattern of responses It is a stage where you might find some of the codes to be irrelevant.
Step 4th – Reviewing of themes:
It is basically one of the important activity which you need to perform in order to confirm that themes are useful and accurate
Step 5th – Defining themes:
After reviewing you need to prepare the final list of themes. Then after that defining the themes is every much crucial which includes providing a clear explanation about the meaning of each theme. Defining the theme includes naming the theme in such a manner that it helps an individual in understanding the data.
Step 6th – Writing up:
This is the last phase which mainly involves producing a meaningful report. It is a phase where you areneed to determine which themes in research have helped you in developing an in-depth understanding of data. Performing the verifications very much crucial for you in order to confirm that accurate representation of findings has been done. In the report, you are required to provide an introduction about the topic, description of methodology including detailed information about the techniques which you have applied for the collection of data.