Different Types of Essays
Writing an essay on various topics is generally fun for students. It is a practice adopted by the professors to test their students writing skills and judge their knowledge about the topic. There are different types of essays in academic writing. such as short, descriptive, long, explanatory, etc.; each type has its different structure and format. The main purpose of this article is to explain all types of essays for students. But before understanding essay types, we take a brief idea of essay definition.
What Is An Essay?
An essay is a piece of writing that describes the subject matter in a short story. Students must acquire writing skills. In addition to this, the student should be creative in drawing their thoughts on paper. It is a common practice adopted by almost every educational stream – science, arts, commerce, geology, etc. for facilitating discussion on a particular issue.
Every student has undoubtedly heard the word “essay” during their academic life. They even sometimes asked to write an essay on the given topic. At that time, even with the best ideas in mind, students get stuck in deciding the type of essay they should use. So by reading this article, you will be able to gain knowledge about the different types of essay.
Four Major Types of Essay
You must know about every kind of essay so that you wouldn’t ever face any problem in writing on the spot essays and writing articles as homework. There are various types of essays, but here listed the most important types that are assigned to the students during their academic life.
- Narrative Essay: It is a type of essay in which a narrator or writer narrates their story in the form of an essay. As the narrative essay is all about real-life experiences, so it must be in 1st person (I, me) form. Narrative essays are short stories or novella in which writers explain their emotions and experiences about a particular incident that happened with them, or they can also narrate an imaginary tale. It should be as real and vivid as possible that it could create the scenes in readers’ minds. The essay should have the power to involve the readers as if they were a part of the story. The main purpose of the narrative essay is to share the story.
- Persuasive Essay: The only purpose of this essay is to convince the readers with your viewpoint about the particular problem. The writer should present both sides of the argument. In the persuasive or argumentative essay, the main aim is to persuade the audience with the writer’s arguments. This essay involves research, opinions, logic, facts, and appropriate examples which needed for proving a point and for convincing the readers.
- Expository Essay: The expository essay demands extensive and real knowledge about the subject matter. In this type of essay, the writer presents both sides of the story, i.e., against and favour. To prove your stand, you have to do lots of investigation to collect lots of evidence in the form of statistics or examples. There is no space to explain your emotions in this essay. The essay is incomplete without any evidence that is needed for proving your statement. The main purpose of an expository essay is to provide an explanation of the topic in a logical manner.
An expository essay is also known by the name “five-paragraph essay.” The only purpose of writing an expository essay is to explain your stand and try to convince the readers with your points. It could be possible only if you have enough convincing proof to show the readers. You have to elaborate issue in detail to give every likely dept of the matter to the audience.
- Descriptive Essay: A descriptive essay is the type of essay in which you have to give the descriptions of the subject. It provides flexibility as there is no proper structure or format of a descriptive essay is defined. So writers are free to express their views by keeping in mind the nature of readers. The main objective of a descriptive essay is to encourage reading for using their senses in order to develop an understanding of the topic.
You are free to show your emotions and create a picture of the subject in readers’ minds. Writers should use various adjectives and adverbs to explain their topic more efficiently. The most essential literary tools that writers use in descriptive essays are metaphors, personification, analogies, etc. You have to stick with describing the matter; don’t try to go off the topic that could reduce the effectiveness of your writing.
These basic types of essays you should always remember as it can help you in structuring your views and knowledge in the correct format even on the spot. You can easily score good academic grades by impressing your supervisors with quality essays.
Always try to write more organized essays. Your essay should be simple and more readable. Try to stick with the topic and don’t get off from the main idea.
Types Of An Expository Essay
The four main types of essays are;
- Interpretation essay
- Definition essay
- Cause and effect essay
- Response essay
- Critical analysis essay
There is a need for a great time to write up an expository essay because the volume of this essay is large. This essay can be divided into several categories. The several categories of an expository essay are;
- A basic interpretation essay: it refers to the process of interpreting some topics step-by-step along with providing the detailed instructions of the topic. Such type of assignments answers about “how” question of the topic. The topics under this type of essay can be like; the way how the president of the US is elected and describe the means by which chocolate factory creates its best candies.
- A definition essay: it is the simplest form of essay. However, you cannot describe it in a single definition taken from the English Dictionary. If you do so, then plagiarism will be there in the content. College students should include both the personal understanding and official definitions of the specific phrase or word. For example, you can define words like hatred, justice, and school bullying in your essay.
- The cause and effect essay: It is one of the types which show that things are interrelated in the world. In this type of essay, college students should draw a parallel situation between some events by describing some reasons for the consequences of the things. For example, students are given to write on the cause and effect of Brexit on international trade. The main purpose of this type of essay is to provide clarification for the relationship between cause and effect.
- A response essay: This kind of essay is also known as a reflection essay. In this type, University students need to explain the main topic of the essay on the basis of evidence and facts. It will be best if you focus on personal opinions regarding the subject of the essay.
- A critical analysis essay: this type of essay makes the students understand the material covered in the essay. The students have to choose the related piece of the text or content to write up, analyze, and interpret the results in their way. The university professor compares the entire essay with the interpretation of the other essay. Students need to explain line by line to clearly explain each point in the essay.
Essay Writing Tips For Middle School, High School & College
It is not ample for you as a writer to just perceive the main types of essays. You also need to know the best-suited categories of academic papers at each educational level. Essay writing is an integral part of mainly these academic levels – middle school, high school, and College.
Scholars at other academic levels like Masters (MA, M.tech, etc.) and Doctorate (PhD) prefer to write more serious, lengthy, and time-consuming papers like a research paper, thesis, dissertation, etc. Essays for the academic students act as a source of improving their ability to understand the things profoundly.
Essay Writing Tips for Middle School
However, the simplest types of articles given to the students at this level, but if considering their age, they require much effort and time to accomplish the topic. Here are some tips that could help them.
- Opt to write narrative, descriptive, reflective, illustrative, or story-telling essays for composing the articles for middle school.
- Prefer to write prompt opinions based on your hobbies, talent, skills, or abilities
- Describe every point in detail when writing on fashion, people, religions, eves, etc.
- Understand the expectations of your teacher, and focus on that to earn the highest grade.
Essay Writing Tips for High School
The articles assigned to the students in high school are more tangled than middle school. Students can use the below-defined pointers to write varied kinds of essays in high school.
- It is necessary for high school students to concentrate more on writing comparative, expository, narrative, cause & effect, and the essays that involve personal statements. As they have to prepare themselves for their dream colleges, so they must include critical thinking in their writing.
- Try to write an expository essay with a five-paragraph structure. There should be one paragraph reserved for the introduction, and then come three body paragraphs and the ending section that is the conclusion.
- Don’t get off the topic; try to stick with it strictly.
- Cover a single topic with various reticulated ideas.
- Practice hard to write quality essays by inculcating personal statements and critical thinking in your work for a better career.
Essay Writing Tips for College Students
Essays are much confusing and complicated at the college level. But by following these tips, students can submit various kinds of college essays winningly.
- Regardless of whether your professor assigns a topic for the essay, or you choose that for yourself, you must first understand it and then move forward. It is recommended to note down the ideas roughly before starting your research.
- Narrow down the broader subject to create a short story.
- You can give suggestions regarding the matter, but avoid giving your personal opinions in the essay.
- Give accurate personal statements without any editing.
- Use plagiarism free content and protect your content as well from being duplicated by anyone else with the copyright.
- Reread your paper to ensure any mistake, readability, etc. before submitting it.
Different Types of College Essay For Students
There are even more types of essays that exist other than those four which are mentioned above. Students can take a look at these essays.
- Admission or Scholarship Essay: The admission or scholarship essay is a ticket to a higher level of education for the students as post-graduation. After completing graduation, students would write admission essays to take admission and enter the colleges. To succeed further in these essays, students have to do the following;
- Explain why the students have chosen the specific field of study
- Give a reason why the student needs to get a degree
- Reflect one’s strength and weaknesses
- Share your knowledge about the college of your choice
- Share the ways by which you can contribute to the community and society.
A scholarship essay is a close type of essay. Students in colleges write these essays. The main objective of these essays is to persuade the College Board that students deserve a scholarship. The scholarship is financial support given to the student from the college side. Colleges pay to the best students for their high achievements in academics.
- A Cultural Identity Essay: Teachers and professors of school and colleges assign cultural identity essays to the students to make them understand international peers in a better way. This type of essay covers many things. It may include all the information about religion, personal viewpoints, customs, language, cultures, College and school students should not get confused with a personal essay and cultural identity essay. This essay does not focus on any single person. Students in this essay have to write for a group of people belonging to different cultural backgrounds.
- A Process Analysis Essay: This type of essay can be included in the list of expository essays. Students of college and universities should know why this type of essay is important. Students who can write an impressive and effective process analysis essay, in the future, they can become an excellent technical writer. In this type of essay, students need to describe the process step-by-step. Students have to answer for “How to” in this type of essay. College and university students should keep their focus on the topic while explaining the purpose and process step-by-step.
- An Informative Essay: An informative essay is a common type of essay among different essays. Students may argue that this type of essay contains specific information. The students should include the following in essays such as descriptions, in-depth analysis, and special terms in detail and support all these by credible evidence. Students writing this type of essay should be a real expert in the subject he chose to come up with writing a compelling essay.
After getting about various types of essays which students must know to write in their academic life, students can write each type of essay according to needs. If lacking somewhere while writing an extended essay for academics, students can get a universal solution for their essays. Students can select their essay topic and subject in which, they want to make the essay and can ask the essay writers of StudentsAssignmentHelp.Com for help to write an essay for them.