What is research
Research is basically an activity that you can conduct for gathering useful and value able information about a specific subject or topic. The investigation is very much crucial whether you are in a scientific or non-scientific field. It is the research activity which will help you in increasing your knowledge about specific topics or fields. Research can be helpful for you in relation to finding a solution to the number of problems.
Types of research
The research can be categories into two these are fundamental and applied research.
- Fundamental research: The main purpose of such type of investigation is to bring improvement in scientific theories. You can conduct fundamental research for gaining new knowledge about the subject or specific field. By conducting fundamental investigation you can develop an in-depth understanding of specific phenomena. Fundamental research will help you in developing an in-depth understanding of specific issues and allow you to provide an explanation or conclusion for the same. You can’t find a solution to the problem by conducting fundamental research. It will enable you to address the root cause of the occurrence of a particular problem.
- Applied research: It is the type of investigation which is conducted for identifying quick solutions for the issues. Applied research allows you to find quick solutions for the issues by making the application of different principles or theories. The findings of such types of investigation procedures can be applied immediately.
Classification of applied and fundamental research
Applied and fundamental research can be further categorized into different forms these are:
- Quantitative research: You can conduct quantitative research for gathering numerical data about the phenomenon. Quantitative research can be considered to be an iterative procedure where the evaluation of evidence is done. In addition to this, graphs, tables, charts are utilized for presenting the outcome. Such types of investigation are conclusive in nature. By conducting such type of research you can easily make a comparison between data and could easily reach a conclusion.
- Qualitative research: Such type of investigation is mainly performed for gathering non-numerical data. By conducting qualitative investigation you can detail facts about the phenomenon. Qualitative research allows you to provide detailed information about the situation. It also enables you to explore hidden aspects of research.
- Mixed Research: It involves both qualitative and Quantitative research.
Other kinds of research
- Exploratory research: You can perform such type of investigation for the issues that have not been studied properly by other researchers. A few of the techniques which can be utilized for gathering information about the specific topic or subject are interview, case analysis, etc. You can perform exploratory research by engaging yourself in guided discussions, developing research which addresses risk factor, accumulating information about the market, appointing an expert person for conducting an interview. Exploratory research will help you in the selection of the best design for performing the investigation.
- Descriptive research: You can utilize this type of research for gathering and describing the characteristics of the population. For instance, a fashion retail company intends to gain information about fashion trends in the market. A firm by conducting a demographic survey could accumulate detail information about the population and then could perform descriptive research.
- Explanatory research: The primary purpose of performing such type of investigation is to provide an explanation of the relationship between different variables. Correlation is the statistical formula that is utilized for developing an understanding of the relationship between different dimensions of the study.
- Longitudinal research: In such types of research information is gathered at different points in time. The longitudinal research can be facilitated in different forms such as:
- Study of trends: It involves investigation performed for studying the characteristics of the population. For example the percentage of absentees in a class.
- Cohort study: It addresses the subpopulation. For example the percentage of absentees in the marketing department in an organization.
- Panel study: Such studies are performed for tracing a similar sample over a period of time.
- Cross-sectional research: In such type of research the activity of gathering of facts is performed once in a week or month. Such kind of investigation is performed with the purpose of analyzing the present situation.
- Action research: It is a kind of research that you can conduct for collecting the information or facts for bringing positive change in society.
- Policy-oriented research: Such type of research is performed with the aim of determining the way the particular issue can be resolved.
- Comparative research: It is the type of investigation which allows you to analyze the similarities and enables you to make a comparison between different units at various levels.
- Casual research: By performing such type of research you can develop an understanding of the relationship between cause and effect between different variables.
- Theory testing research: It is a type of investigation which is executed mainly for judging the validity of hypothesis or new concept.
- Theory building research: You can perform this type of research for formulating new concepts or theories.