Types of Validity in Research – Meaning and Types
Meaning of Validity
Validity is basically a degree up to which specific tool able to measure the thing in an accurate manner. In addition to this, validity is an extent up to which research findings are closely linked to the real world.
For example: when you use thermometer for measuring the fewer of the patient. When researcher measure the temperature of the patient before giving the medicine it was 102 degrees. An investigator measure body temperature of the patient again after half an hour of giving the medicine. The result indicates the decline in body temperature of the patient which means the tool that Is thermometer is highly validate.
Types of validity
There are different types of validity in research these are:
- Internal validity
It is mainly concerned with the way the researcher performs research. It is the factor that helps in measuring the effectiveness of research.
Measuring internal validity is crucial as it helps in gaining knowledge about the link between cause and effect.
For instance, if the result drawn from any investigation is highly valid that means that you will able to demonstrate that it is the self-sufficient variable which is originated or caused by the dependent variable. It is through measuring the internal validity through which you can demonstrate the causality between different variables of the study.
Tips for increasing the internal reliability of research
- You can increase the validity of research by retaining more strict control on the different variables of the study.
- Secondly, you need to bring improvement in different techniques which you have apply for the purpose of measurement.
- External validity
It is basically a measure up to which you can apply particular findings of the investigation in other circumstances. External validity is a degree up to which you can generalize findings of the research. For example .if you have conducted an investigation for identifying the best technique for improving health care services if the result of such research is applicable that means that the outcomes are highly external validate.
Measuring external validity is very much essential as it will help you in determining the degree up to which you can apply findings dawn in different situations.
For example, You can utilise unique software in all kinds of computers which software engineer has design. An engineer has distributed that software to a few people in a company and has asked them to use it on their personal computer. Many of the people have provided a positive response related to software and there were few negative responses. The researcher has provided the engineer with a proper explanation about the reason for permitting the participants to use specific software at home.
Tips for improving external validity
- You can use randomization techniques, as it will help you in eliminating the chances of biasness in selecting sample which is very much important to increase internal validity.
- You can perform field investigation. As by performing the fields’ research, you will able to study the attitude of people in a natural setting which is very crucial for generating accurate outcomes.
It is basically a degree up to which the different tests that you have performed measure accurate things. Construct validity is a level to which the different measured utilized is helpful in relation to testing theories. In simple words, construct basically involves the observation of things which you intend to observe.
For instance, A teacher in classroom has conducted the IQ test for analyzing the brain of each child. The findings of the investigation reveal that every child has different IQ level.
Tips for achieving the construct validity
- You in order to accomplish the construct validity need to make sure that the measurement you have taken are correct. At the same time you also need to make sure that indicators which have been set are correct.
- Secondly, while designing the questionnaire you need to ensure that all the questions are relevant to your topic.