Analyze and Compare Costco, Wal-Mart, and Nordstrom: Accounting Homework, HTU, US
|University||Hussein Technical University (HTU)- USA|
Analyze and compare Costco, Wal-Mart, and Nordstrom
The general merchandise retail industry has a number of segments represented by the following companies:
|Company Name||Merchandise Concept|
|Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST)||Membership warehouse|
|Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT)||Discount general merchandise|
|Nordstrom, Inc. (JWN)||Fashion department store|
For a recent year, the following cost of goods sold and beginning and ending inventories are provided from corporate annual reports (in millions) for these three companies:
|Cost of goods sold||$102,901||$360,984||$9,168|
|Beginning of year||8,908||45,141||1,733|
|End of year||8,969||44,469||1,945|
- Determine the inventory turnover ratio for all three companies. Round all calculations to one decimal place.
- Determine the number of days’ sales in inventory for all three companies. Assume a 365-day year. If required, round all computations to one decimal place and use it in subsequent calculations. Round final answers to one decimal place.
|Number of Days’ Sales in Inventory|
- Based on the results, which of the following statements is INCORRECT with regard to each company’s merchandising concept?
- Costco holds only mass-appeal items that are sold quickly off the shelf.
- Wal-Mart has attractive pricing, but the inventory moves more slowly than would be the case at a club warehouse.
- Nordstrom’s inventory moves slowly but at a higher margin.
- Wal-Mart’s inventory moves very quickly at higher margins.
We promise you to provide all of your accounting assignments before the deadline and also offer you unlimited revisions of your assignments. We ensure that the content of your homework would be unique with zero percent plagiarism. Our team is available 24/7 to offer you instant college homework help, for any query regarding your assignment, feel free to ask.