Kaplan has Engaged You to Design and Implement an Office Network: IT Assignment, NUS, Singapore
|University||National University of Singapore (NUS)|
Assignment Details and Requirements:
Kaplan has engaged you to design and implement an office network for a new office comprising HR executives (4), sales consultants (6), and Accounting executives (6). The new office is to be located on Orchard Road. The HR executives are responsible for staff recruitments for the main campus at Wilkie Edge, the sales consultants are responsible for student recruitment and the Accounting function is relocated from the current location at Wilkie Edge. The new office will not exceed 50 personnel in the foreseeable future.
The network director has provided the following information and is open to recommendations for additional server/network components if required:
- One Domain server: this is the network domain controller where the active directory services are installed.
- One DNS and DHCP server: this server will provide both the DNS and DHCP services.
- Email services are to be outsourced.
- The network IP address is to be used is 10.64.136.105/25.
In the context of the case study, please complete the following tasks:
- Briefly discuss and justify the various transmission media that you would consider for the network at the new office. Include in the discussion why you have not considered the other media types.
- Identify and justify other networking devices (routers, switches, firewall, etc) that you would need to set up the network
- Compute the network IP address, the first assignable IP address, the last assignable IP address, the broadcast IP address, and the range of assignable IP addresses.
- Describe why the DNS service is important and how the DNS services are to be deployed in the network.
- Discuss any five (5) threats faced by computer network users and what strategies might be used to prevent each of them from happening.
Conduct library / Internet research on the typical operations of your chosen organization and use the information gathered to write a report. Your report must answer the following questions sections and include all factors stated below. Each of the points in the table below must be reproduced into your answer. You must use the terms found within this subject. You are encouraged to look up various textbooks and journals to find these terms and to gain additional knowledge on this subject through exploration. You may need to do independent research and learning if topics are not yet covered.
|1||Briefly discuss and justify the various transmission media.|
|2||Explain the functions of each of the following components: Bridge, Router, Switch, firewall, and Hub.|
|3||Compute the network IP address, the first assignable IP address, the last assignable IP address, the broadcast IP address, and the range of assignable IP addresses.|
|4||Describe why the DNS service is important and how the DNS services are to be deployed in the network.|
|5||Explain any five threats faced by computer network users/ threats to data security and strategies that users may take to address these threats.|