You are Working as a Marketing Consultant. You have been Instructed to Undertake Research: Marketing Coursework, BU, UK
|University||Bournemouth University (BU) – UK|
Marketing Portfolio About EE Limited (Telecommunication Company in UK)
You are working as a marketing consultant. You have been instructed to undertake research into the current promotional techniques, targeting UK residents, of one of the following Telecommunications or Employment/ Recruitment companies:
Your research should form part of a portfolio and must include written summaries, video or website screenshots, pictures you take, and promotional campaigns you discover. No content should be older than two years old.
Include a promotional activity that occurs:
- At customer facing touchpoints (i.e. store/ offices/ reception areas).
- In external spaces (i.e. advertising billboards).
- Via digital platforms (i.e. websites, social media).
- Through third parties (i.e. news articles, analyst reports).
- Knowledge of relevant literature that would permit an understanding of effective marketing solutions. This will take the form of strategies and tactical plans that are supported by a sound information base.
- The ability to use creative marketing skills and knowledge in a practical and applied situation. The work should demonstrate intellectual originality and imagination.
Points to consider:
- The task requires you to be creative and use your marketing knowledge and skills so that the portfolio gives a broad picture of the promotional techniques used by your chosen company in a practical and tactical manner.
- A range of research needs to be undertaken. This is a creative task so there are few set boundaries to the design of your portfolio. However, note that the task is worth 60 marks and is therefore equivalent to approximately 1,800 words.
N.B- It is strongly advised that you include a brief overview of the company’s current operations.
As part of the promotional mix portfolio, you must support your practical work with a formal report. This report should apply the theoretical aspects of the promotional mix used in your chosen telecommunications or recruitment company and evaluate the effectiveness of these tactics.
Apply 2 of the following marketing theories to the same company used in task one and critique how effectively they have been implemented, in the last two years.
- Above/below the line
- Push and pull strategies
- The communication process.
An evaluation of the effectiveness of these tactics is required. This must include objective measurable data that reflects the impact of the applied theory on the company (i.e. financial or social media KPI outcomes).
- Knowledge and understanding of the theories applied to past and current marketing management concepts. This knowledge needs to be used to critically appraise the way in which marketing theory relates to marketing practice.
- The ability to express theories accurately and in and sound structure. Learning resources must be effectively managed and show a high degree of exploration.
Points to consider:
- The report must include how the company applies the two theories you choose, with clear examples. The inclusion of diagrams to illustrate how each theory works is advisable.
- You need to evaluate how effectively these strategies have been implemented. In order to do so, you must consider objective data such as KPI outcomes found in company reports or social media metrics linked to a specific campaign.