The academic projects based on argumentative essays are popular in the top colleges and universities across the world. The students have to put significant efforts plus practical skills to write perfect essay projects for scoring good academic marks. Students of high school or college have to present both sides of the argument by equally balancing the statements. It is not about the one side of the discussion which gets presented forcefully instead of students having to explain one strong point towards the argument.
It can be hard for the college or university students to choose the topic for an argumentative essay, but if they get succeeded in selecting the active essay topic, then they can create a persuasive essay paper.
What is an argumentative essay?
Argumentative essays are the type of essays that are written to seek a state of position on any issue described in the essay and explaining various reasons which are next supported by evidence of that position.
What ideas can students find to write about an Argumentative Essay?
College students can found argumentative essay topics everywhere around them. Students can take a look at the headlines of the newspaper, or can listen to ideas on a conversation at Starbucks. There are many chances when students can find topics related to someone are trying to persuade and impress other persons to believe him in his claim about the following;
- Is it true?
- What can be the cause of it?
- How much important is it?
- What can or should we do for this?
If still, students are not getting the ideas for topics of argumentative essays, then you can take a look at the list of some topics of argumentative essay ideas.
Five major types of Argumentative Claims
The students can’t write up the powerful and impressive persuasive speech or paper without knowing how to write an effective argumentative essay. It is a specific type of essay writing assignment for high school and college students. Argumentative essay writing involves a particular argument which a writer tries to prove to others by giving some evidence in support.
Students need to consider some points before choosing topics for argumentative essay writing;
- Fact: Is the problem true or not?
- Definition: What does the issue really mean?
- Value: How important is the point regarding it?
- Cause and effect: What is the real cause of this issue? What are its effects on society?
- Policy: What should a person do about it?
How can students write a thesis statement?
Before knowing about the procedure and tips of writing a thesis statement of an argumentative essay, students must know about what it really means.
What is a thesis statement?
“A thesis statement is a one-line statement written in the introductory paragraph, which can summarize the main points and claims concisely.”
A thesis statement should be written in such a way that it can present your stance on the topic written by you in the essay. Thesis writing is worth spending time by the students because this statement tells the readers about what you have written in your essay and determine whether the readers want to read your essay or not.
Developing and writing a clear and strong thesis statement in the essay is the most crucial part of writing an argumentative essay. Students can learn the best way to write up a thesis statement for their essay. Students can involve a question-answer format in the thesis statement. Your thesis statement should answer all the questions that can be in readers’ mind while reading your argumentative essay.
Students can change the idea of the topic into a question format before developing a thesis statement out of it;
1.Thesis Statement Example for Cyberbullying Essay
- Does school bullying lead to serious mental problems?
- Meaning and proper definition of school bullying
- How important is to prevent school bullying?
- What can you do to help parents and teachers to fight against school bullying and aggression among people in the US?
- You can include headings in the form of questions as it looks good.
2.Response: The issue discussed in the essay is mainly the title of the essay or written in the introductory paragraph. Also, a thesis statement itself becomes the answer to that question.
3. Refute objections: Students can include some kind of opening phrases at the beginning of the thesis statement to show that you are refuting the other existing opinions of others on the topic or question.
4. Roadmap: Creating a roadmap is a bonus method which you have to describe 3 or more main points that the author plans to discuss in the entire content of the essay.
3 simple ways to write a thesis statement with Examples
There are 3 simple ways that students need to understand for writing a thesis statement;
- Question/ Answer format: This is the easiest way to write a thesis statement in an argumentative essay by turning the topic into the question and answer format.
- Fact: Does divorce cause a severe problem for the children?
- Definition: What is “domestic violence?”
- Cause: What are the causes of divorce?
- Value: What is the importance of avoiding divorce for the couples?
- Proposal: What can you do to make your marriage divorce-proof?
Note / Tips: You can keep the title of your essay in the question form, or you can make the question as to the first line of the introduction paragraph. And the answer to this question line will be your thesis statement.
Example of Question And Answer Format Thesis Statement
Question: What can you do to make your marriage divorce-proof?
Answer: To make your marriage divorce-proof, the most crucial way is to make sure that you have carefully prepared for your commitment.
In the above example, you have answered about “what can you do to make your marriage divorce-proof?” You have also made the readers understand that in your essay, you are focusing on careful preparation for the commitment.
- Refute objections: this is another way to create and write a thesis statement. In this method, you can state one side of the argument and can present a refuting statement.
Example: Some people think that there are no ways to make your marriage divorce-proof. However, studies show that there are some divorce cases in which people carefully make this commitment.
In the above example, you state one side of the argument in which you are stating viewpoints of people that “there are no ways to make your marriage divorce-proof” and refuting the same statement by saying that “there are some divorce cases in which people carefully make this commitment.” The reference to studies makes this thesis statement stronger, which will back up the argument of the topic.
- Roadmap: The roadmap is another way to make your thesis statement stronger. In this method, you will just tell you about all in a few words, and you will cover three or more main points of your topic in it.
Example: Some people think that there are no ways to make your marriage divorce-proof. However, studies show that there are some divorce cases in which people carefully makes this commitment by taking some time to know the other before becoming engaged with him/ her, by spending some time with other’s family and friends, by talking about some issues and getting extensive premarital counselling with another person.
The above example is of persuasive thesis statement in which you can state a claim, stance on the main points and the claim which will back up your stance. However, it is a little lengthy statement, and it thoroughly outlines the entire content of the essay. This is not only helpful for the readers but also help you while crafting the whole essay by keeping your focus on the main points.
How can college students start with an argumentative essay?
The introductory paragraph of the argumentative essay must be crafted with an impressive thesis statement. The college or university students need to provide excellent background information at the starting of the essay paper. Students of high school or college can present perfect evidence to back up the argument of the essay paper.
- Start with an impressive hook at the beginning of the essay: Students of college can start their essay work with something static or exciting, a thought-provoking question, a quote, or a personal anecdote. The first sentence written by the students can grab the attention of the readers if it gets printed efficiently. The audience can get excited about the argumentative essay was written by the students if they present it uniquely.
- Include some informative context and background: The students have to mention in their essay the primary purpose behind writing it. The situation and the matter that attracts the students for writing the argumentative essay paper should be referred to in the article so that the readers can show their interest in the essay. If the college students are including proper argument or background facts in their composition, then the readers can understand the article in a better way.
- State exclusive thesis statement: The background information provided by the college students in their argumentative essay must get a smooth transition. The readers will show more interest in the article written by the students if the essay includes proper informative.
- Support the content with informative evidence: The first vital points must get included in the content of the essay to attract the attention of the readers. College students can state the keywords to back up the argument mentioned in the essay paper. However, students can leave the actual case impressively and analysis for the standard body paragraphs.
Introduction ideas for the argumentative essay
- Explain or discuss the main problem
- Tell facts and a true story
- Present a hypothetical situation to describe the issue
- Compare and contrast the situation
- Ask a thought-provoking statement
- Start with a statistic or essential events
How to deal with the writing task of an argumentative essay?
It is not so easy for high school or college students to work on the argumentative essay. However, there are some of the guidelines and some useful tips with the help of which, students can write perfect essay paper.
- Balanced description of the problem, powerful statements or evidence to support the collected material and many other credible sources are the essential elements for making the perfect argumentative essay.
- The students must be an expert in the field of writing for dealing correctly with the argumentative essay.
- The primary task is first to choose the impressive argumentative essay topic. The topic selected by the students must be informative and exciting to grab the attention of the audience.
How to write an outline for the college argumentative essay?
An outline is the most important as well as an initial stage for writing different articles, essays, and other types of academic papers. To outline the argumentative essay, college students have to make a detailed plan so that they cannot miss any necessary data or information for the essay paper.
If the students are facing any problem with the outline of the argumentative essay, then they can take help from the following suggestions:
- Efficient introduction paragraph: The main focus of college students should be on explaining the matter, supportive opinions, and proper conclusion at the beginning of the essay. The students should open the essay writing work by mentioning the meaningful thesis statement to the argumentative essay. It could be useful for the students to apply the title of the article to introduce the idea for writing it. It is essential to focus on the audience and the material which can attract the attention easily. It can be useful if the students include background information about the topic chosen by them in the introductory part of the argumentative essay.
- Central body paragraphs of the argumentative essay: The college students need to provide the reasons for the audience so that they can agree with their statement. However, if the students are including some opposite opinions in their essay, then it can create curiosity in the minds of the readers. To make the essay writing work, more persuasive students can add some of the supportive statements in it. Students of middle school or high school can include at least three reasons to explain the causes of choosing the argumentative essay topic.
Including specific arguments, statics, facts, jokes, or real-life examples can help college students to support their reasons. The statements given by the students must be perfect for explaining the points and clearing the description in the minds of the audience. However, college students can tell a real story which can efficiently support their point of view. Supporting the main point of the essay can be beneficial for the students while preparing the argumentative essay.
- Add some objection points to the statements: There can be some of the points which can make the audience against the explanation given by the students. It can be useful if the students include the objection statements along with the supportive comments in the argumentative essay. If the readers have any of the objection with the essay point, then the students can explain why their opinion in the stable for pointing out. The students can demonstrate why they have chosen that topic plus why their point of view is efficient to understand.
- Conclusion part: The final word explained by the students in their argumentative essay can tell the audience about the thinking and understanding power of the students. The reasons mentioned by the students in the ending part can explain to the readers that it is the time to act and efficiently explore the problem. However, it could be beneficial if the students include some extra key point other than the points mentioned in the entire essay to make the ending more effective.
- Useful tips for outlining the argumentative essay: Argumentative essays are fair and straightforward in comparison to other academic essay papers.
However, college students can follow the given below suggestions to create an effective essay paper:
- Try to grab the attention of the readers in any situation.
- Make the audience curious to learn something new and unique from the essay written on a specific topic.
- Explain the controversial points plus problems clearly to the audience so that they cannot object to the statements given by the students.
- Describe the different sides of the debate impressively.
- Tell the readers why you had chosen that topic.
- Convince the readers that the theme selected by the students is best to understand.
- Urge the audience to understand and take actions towards the statement made by the students.
How to write an introduction paragraph of the argumentative essay?
For writing an argumentative essay, college students have to explain the subject, controversy points in the starting of the article and they have to end it by including a proper thesis.
There are some of the best tips to write an informative, argumentative essay:
- Use the valid title to grab the attention of the readers in the starting. The claim must be based on the thesis statement of the essay topic chosen by the students or the question which they are trying to address the audience.
- It can be useful for students if they remain concise and clear. College students have to remember that they are writing an argumentative essay, not a debate.
- Think about the audience that what can make them interested and curious after listening to the essay topic.
- Readers get attracted towards the point of view explained by the students if they can emphasize them with their point of view.
- Students have to present certain supporting statements plus facts from highly relevant resources. It can build a high trust for the readers and can indicate that the students are arguing on a persuasive argument.
- It can be useful if the students include a clear thesis statement that can answer every question of the audience. The thesis can state the position and effective beginning of the argumentative essay.
How to write a central body paragraph of the argumentative essay?
The central body part of the essay consists of mainly three or five paragraphs. Students have to present evidence arguments to every section of the article. The students need to provide the practical reasons why the audience has to listen to their essay and what makes their piece unique and original.
Students can make their argumentative essay stronger by following the given below tips:
- Generally, students have to include three or more statements to support the argument made in the article. It could explain why the audience would accept the position stated by the students with their article.
- Supporting each of the essay sentences with the logic, suitable examples, authorities, facts, statistics, and many more can make the readers more interested in reading the essay.
- To make the reasons given by the students effectively, it is essential to explain the situations by including if, then, and many more words in the essay paragraphs.
- It could be beneficial for college students if they demonstrate the opposite side of the content in front of readers. It can make the readers sure why your team is best to understand.
- Explain the audience that what are other positions taken by people in the same subject? Moreover, the students can ask the audience what would be their answers if they could replace such situations.
How to write a conclusion part of the argumentative essay?
The conclusion or the summary of the entire essay reflects the main motive of the article written. If the students are writing a useful conclusion part, then it means that they had summarises the thesis statement effectively. By adding the arguments and main points in the essay, college students can convince the readers that their case is the best to understand. The ending part of the argumentative essay combines the entire article effectively. However, it is not a good idea to present the new facts and arguments in the conclusion paragraph.
There are some of the best suggestions that the students can include in their essay:
- Think about the audience that what can be the impact of the essay topic on the minds of the audience.
- Students can include conditional statements and arguments in the ending part.
- Show that what would happen if the viewer adopts the ideas suggested by the students in their essay.
- Using real-life examples or facts can motivate the students to grab the attention of the readers quickly.
- Inspire the readers that they have to take action in favour of the statements mentioned in the essay.
- Appeal to the character, morals, emotions, or logic of the readers to understand the argumentative essay effectively.
Types of argument strategies which college students can use while preparing for argumentative essay
Usually, college students ignore the fact that three kinds of controversial strategies can help them in writing an argumentative essay, namely,
Each argument strategy has a role in essay writing.
If the students mix these types of procedures in their argumentative essay, then they can achieve the best results and can create a perfect argumentative essay paper easily. Students can know more about the strategies in the following paragraph and can apply it in the essay work.
1.Classical argument strategy for essay writing
It is one of the most popular argument strategies that college students can use in their essay. While working on this strategy, students have to present the main problem along with the problem solution to it. In addition to it, students have to convince the readers that the solution suggested by them is the best to opt for.
The audience might not have a strong opinion for the statements mentioned by the students; however, the main job of the students is to convince them of their views. The readers must get care about the topic and agree with the position stated by the students with their essay.
Way to outline the classical argumentative essay:
- At first, make the readers interested and attentive for reading the article written by the students.
- Students can state their problem along with the thesis statement and can explain why they have to care about the task by writing an exciting introduction.
- Provide some of the useful and informative contexts in the main paragraphs of the essay that must be surrounding the main problem.
- Stating the positions and claiming best about the article can help the students in making an efficient outline of the classical argumentative paper.
- It can be beneficial for the students if they mention the valid reasons for choosing the topic of the essay.
- Along with the essential facts, students have to present quite supportive content in their classical argumentative essay paper.
- Convince the readers why the opposing arguments are not efficient or relevant as compared to your statements.
- Finally, summarise the main points in the ending part and discuss the main implications for having such a position.
2.Rogerian argument strategy for argumentative essay writing
The primary strategy of the college students behind choosing a Rogerian argument is to persuade the readers with their points of agreement. It is an appropriate technique used by the many students to win the debates or for better representation of the argumentative material. It can tell the reader that which side is the opposing or which is the valid side to listen. Students usually argue for the middle ground of the essay content.
Way to outline the Rogerian argumentative essay:
- For the very first, students have to introduce a problem in front of the readers. Then they have to explain to the readers why the issue should get addressed.
- State the best sides of the topic and discuss the situations in which the points of the essay seem to be valid.
- Students have to explain their points of views plus opposing statements to open the mind-set of the readers.
- State the points effectively which can make the opposition willing first to listen to it. It can grab the attention of the readers efficiently towards your statement.
- It is beneficial to state the points that why argument made by you is correct and should get highlighted.
- Explain to the readers that how adopting their positions can help them in solving the significant issues or problems related to the essay topic.
3.Toulmin argument strategy for writing an argumentative essay
Commonly, this strategy gets used in a high charge debate. Students have to use clear logic and statements for implementing this strategy in their argumentative essay.
Way to outline the Toulmin argumentative essay:
Students have to use the following format for explaining the procedure in the essay paper
- Mention the efficient thesis which the students want to tell the audience with their essay.
- Provide sufficient evidence to support the claim highlighted by the students.
- Explains that how the data provided can back up the statements of the article written by the students.
- Add logical reasoning and facts to support the concept behind writing the essay.
- Provide sufficient support to the students why their point of explanations is better to understand.
Interesting topic ideas based on argumentative essay
The most challenging task for college or university students is to select an appropriate topic for the argumentative essay. There are so many options available on the different social sites, books, magazines, and on other relevant sources from which the students can select the best argumentative essay topic to work on.
However, if the students still have confusion with the best choice of the problem, then they can take help from the following a list of essay writing ideas:
- What are the benefits of teaching children about the ethics and moral principles of life?
- How can parents remain disciplined towards their physical activity of children?
- What can be the positive and negative effects of giving punishment to small children?
- What legal laws can stop teenagers from doing smoking or drinking?
- How can countries address people towards legal immigration laws?
- Can every person of the country implement on the rules made by the national government?
- What are the positive and negative effects of globalization on society and people?
- What is the impact of discrimination and gender inequality in the educational life of the students?
- How can young children as well as adults taught towards living a healthy life?
Writing an argumentative essay requires professional writing and practical researching skills. In addition to it, the students from different colleges have to select an appropriate topic for working on the essay paper.
When the college students are not able to choose the topic for writing an argumentative essay, or they fail in writing the format of the essay paper, then they can contact the team of expert writers. Students Assignment Help is the best option for the school or college students, which offers them highly proficient academic assignments and professional writing services at any time