It is not surreptitious that one who is a good leader is a good communicator. In order to move forward in life, one needs to be a good communicator and have effective communication skills. Even in this electronic world the base line or the key factor of personal and professional successes the effective interpersonal communication skills.
It is a dynamic process and is the root for many successes (Arnold, 2005). As Jo Ann Shemwell is a new first-line supervisor so she needs to be an effective communicator so that she can make understand her problems, needs, requirement related to the company needs to the co-workers properly (Rudani, 2013). So, there are few tips and advices that she should go through to be an effective communicator in the business world.
Factors to be considered to be an effective communicator
- Clear message : No one likes a hiker, so just simplify the thoughts and present them in a specific manner. She should be direct and clear otherwise none of her co-workers will understand what exactly she wants, and thus makes it difficult for the workers to accomplish any of her expectations.
- Get to the point be concise : If she tries to be direct and concise to the point the fellow workers will be more responsive. As “Many efforts to communicate are nullified by saying too much”. If she says too much the co-workers will tune out, and the most important and crucial points can be missed. So, be precise and make them understand in short and sweet way (Characteristics of Effective Communicators, 2014).
- Effective Listener : To be a good communicator one must be an effective listener as well because properly, and concentrated hearing of what the person is saying is Effective listening. Communication is not at all about talking to someone it is also hears what the person is saying. It also shows that she cares about the messages and responds accordingly.
- Linkage : One should always try to maintain a logical linkage between the sayings so as to deliver the requirements in a structured and planned way.
- Environment where everyone feels safe and free : One should create a healthy environment in the business organization where the co-workers feel safe and free to express their opinions, feelings and to express their feelings about certain problems and related plan issues (Robinson, Segal & Segal, 2014).
- Mind and try to minimize the say-do gap: Trust is the backbone of effective communication in any organization. In this case, behavior of the supervisor is the greatest way of communication, and it should be going well together what the supervisor say (Rourke, 2009).
- Clarity: For communication to be effective, clarity is the most essential feature. Supervisor should always use simple and sound words and languages that can be easily understood by the listener. The thoughts to be delivered by the communicator should be clear in his mind rather than jumbled and confused mind.
- Listen with eyes as well as with ears : An effective communicator is one who is aware of its surroundings very well. One should stop, look and listen what is going around in the organization. A good communication is one that is a two way communication. Good supervisor is one who ask good and reasonable question and then listen with their ears and eyes simultaneously (Habits of highly effective communicator, 2014). As we are talking about the supervisor who is at relatively higher position, so the stakes are relatively higher as there is no feedback directly all the time. Even one should open their eyes to understand the non verbal communication, understands body language which will answer all the questions need to be known (Arnold, 2005).
- Style of expressing : One should speak in a controlled manner and within an appropriate pitch. Always try to make eye contact with a person with whom one is talking. Light humor at appropriate time is accepted.
- Communication in extreme emotional state should be avoided.
This can be concluded from the above analysis that along with technical skills and experience that Jo Ann Shemwell has the above tips and points will help her in managing good relations and help her to win trust and confidence of the co-workers. Through effective communication, she will surely get the required and timely work done by the co-workers easily.
- Arnold, M. (2005). Effective Communication Techniques,US: Cengage Learning
- Chambers, H.E (2001). Effective Communication Skills for Scientific and Technical. Basic books.
- Characteristics of Effective Communicators. (2014). Retrieved on February 26, 2014, from http://www.vanderbloemen.com/insights/6-common-characteristics-of-effective-communicators.
- Habits of highly effective communicator. (2014). Retrieved on February 26, 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/susantardanico/2012/11/29/5-habits-of-highly-effective-communicators/
- Robinson, L., Segal, L. & Segal,R. (2014). Effective Communication. Retrieved on February 26, 2014, from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/effective_communication_skills.htm
- Rourke, J.S. (2009). Effective communication. Dorling Kindersley Limited